A paleo diet is a dietary plan based on foods what might have been eaten in the Paleolithic era. This diet was started by Loren Cordain. He says that the paleo diet is the way humans were genetically designed to eat.
- We are not cavemen.
- Recent studies suggest that early man was more of a vegetarian (plant eater) and not as much of a carnivore (meat eater).
- Most of us don’t just hunt for our food.
- We have many food choices available.
- There has been a lot of research on the health benefits of foods that are not part of the paleo diet.
Paleo Diet friendly Food List
- Vegetables, like lettuce, asparagus, green beans, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and spinach
- Fresh Fruits
- Nuts, like almonds, walnuts, cashews, pecans, and pistachios and seeds, like pumpkin and sunflower
- Animal fats
- Unrefined oils, like olive, walnut, grapeseed, and coconut oil
What can’t I eat on a Paleo diet?
- Grains, such as oats, wheat, barley and rice ( no cereal, bread, pasta, bagels, crackers or granola bars )
- Starchy vegetables, such as potatoes and corn ( potato and corn chips, tortillas, popcorn )
- Legumes or beans, so no peanuts or peanut butter, no soy foods ( soy milk, tofu or edamame ) no hummus or beans of any kind
- Dairy products ( no milk, yogurt, cheese or ice cream )
- High-fat meats ( salami, bologna, pepperoni, hot dogs, ground meat, rib roast, and ribs )
- Sugars ( soda, honey, jam or jelly, syrup, candy, cakes, cookies and sports drinks )
- Processed foods or trans fats ( doughnuts, french fries, fruit snacks )
- Salty foods ( crackers, chips, pretzels, soy sauce, added-salt foods )
Paleo diet Pros:
👍 Clean diet without additives, preservatives, or chemicals.
👍 Anti-inflammatory benefits from the plant nutrients in fruits, vegetables, oils, nuts, and seeds.
👍 Eating more red meat, increase iron.
👍 A feeling of fullness between meals, due to the higher intake of protein and fats.
👍 Lost weight primarily due to the limited food choices.
Paleo diet Cons:
👎 The diet can be expensive.
👎 You don’t eat any grains which can be good for health and energy.
👎 This diet can be difficult for vegetarians.
👎 Most athletes need between 3 to 6 grams of carbs per pound of their body weight, per day.